Working with new models is a fun and interesting part of being a fashion photographer. However it is important that the fashion photographer behaves professionally on the shoot. Here are some fashion photography tips to aid you when working with models.
Here are some other photography tips to enhance your experience when working with a fashion model:
1. Give the model clear directions to your studio. Make sure they are precise as you do not want him or her getting lost.
2. If there is nudity or revealing clothes be sure to discuss the direction of the story and the shoot with the model during the go see or before she arrives. Models do not like surprises.
3. Be sure there is a hair and makeup artist available on set for the model unless the model knows that she is required to do their own for this particular shoot. Most models prefer a hair/makeup artist on set.
4. Provide music at the studio or location. Be sure to have a variety of songs.
5. Give the model breaks during the shooting process and provide food and drink if it is an all day shoot.
6. Give the model her pictures in a timely fashion. This cannot be overstated. Editing is a process and takes time. The number one complaint by models in general is that he or she worked with a photographer and never got their pics. Their time is just as valuable as yours so follow through.
7. Have fun! Fashion photography is an amazing craft and can be extremely rewarding and creative. Have fun with the process!